This year the total fabric used was 48.5 yds: 37yds for completed garments and 11.5 for sewing nonstarters that ended up in the trash. I purchased 62 yds (how did that happen?) One of last years goals was to sew more than I bought. Apparently that did not happen by a good 13.5 yds.
The goal is to reduce the hoard, not increase it. Oh well, maybe next year.
Meanwhile, back to the review of the completed garments of 2010.
The Winner!
Simplicity 2369: Paisley knit top
Love, love, love this top. It is sheer without being see through so it is the perfect weight for our hot summers. I wore it as long as I could through the fall, because of its great fall colors. I also wore it casually with brown capris (perfect for Disney World). This pattern is apparently a winner for a lot of other seamstresses. I have seen it reviewed on many blogs.
Runner ups
Simplicity 2369: Purple and pink knit top
Same pattern as the winner except I omitted the ties. I wore this top over and over also. Really good colors for me and the fabric is super soft. It felt like wearing jammies all day.
McCalls 5522: Teal Swiss dot blouse
This turned out to be a great pattern. It was relatively easy to fit and not too hard to sew though a bit time consuming with collar, collar stand, placket, and buttons. I made 4 versions of this so I must have liked it somewhat. This was very expensive fabric and apparently you do get what you paid for. It was easy to sew and it has held up perfectly.
The Losers
This only includes finished garments. I had 4 projects that ended up unfinished in the trash.
Simplicity 5914: tweed rayon trumpet skirt
I wore this once. The only problem is that it needs to be re-hemmed. I ran out of lace and used bias tape which was a bad idea. I think if I re-hem I will be OK. I'll get to that before I die.
Simplicity 2369: teal knit top
This pattern was used for 2 of my winners this year. Unfortunately, I made a poor fabric choice. It is way too unstable for ties. The hem is also bad. I can probably fix the hem, but I'm not happy with the ties. I think this is a total loss.
The Rest
I wore this several times. It is a good wardrobe basic brown linen skirt.
Boys Vest
I made this pattern from a too small vest Carl wore for Christmas pictures a couple of years ago. He wore this version for his 18th century play. It fit the bill. My guess is he won't wear again unless he has another period costume requirement.


I made this pattern from a too small vest Carl wore for Christmas pictures a couple of years ago. He wore this version for his 18th century play. It fit the bill. My guess is he won't wear again unless he has another period costume requirement.

I like this skirt a lot. I have a lot of purple, pink and black in my wardrobe so I wear it often. It fits well.
I'm not super excited about this top. I like the pattern, but the fabric is a little polyestery for me. Even though it matches my teal jacket perfectly. I wore it a couple of times. It definitely looks better with my jacket on.

I wore a couple times, but the fabric is really unstable. It also requires a lot of ironing which means it sits in my ironing pile for about a month 'til I get around to it.
I have worn this several times. It is a good wardrobe basic. You can't go wrong with a basic pencil skirt.
I wasn't sure if I would wear this much because of its loud print. I was wrong. I have a green velour jacket that matches this top perfectly. I wear it often.
I wore this blouse several times. The only problem I have with it is that the fabric has some Lycra and seems to "grow" throughout the day. It gets pretty blousey around my midsection. Maybe I can add some elastic in the back.
McCalls 6022: Teal Top for Bonnie
I think this blouse needs a little alteration at the shoulders. Bonnie didn't seem to mind and wore it several times. I think it was cool and comfy in our humidity.
McCalls 5522: Sherbet Eyelet Blouse
I wore this a couple of times. I don't think it is one of my favorite. It definitely has a matronly vibe to it. Maybe it is the poly eyelet.I think this blouse needs a little alteration at the shoulders. Bonnie didn't seem to mind and wore it several times. I think it was cool and comfy in our humidity.
McCalls 5522: Sherbet Eyelet Blouse
The fabric for this blouse is a beautiful silk. I have worn it several times and like it a lot. I really want to finish a jacket using the orange wool I have that matches the blouse.




3 comments:
Linda, Great of the year review. Well done. Quantity is not as important as quality. The important question is: "Are you pleased with your work? Does the work you completed this year, inspire you to try new techniques? Good job. I'll be stopping by from time to time. Happy Holidays!
C
I agree with Cennetta. If you are happy with what you have sewn that is the important thing. You have made a lot more than I have :) so I think you have been pretty productive this year. I'm hoping my sewing time will increase in the New Year.
Hi Linda, It's nice to discover your blog. Thank you for leaving a comment so I could find you. You have made some creative costumes and very nice looking garments. I look forward to following along. Happy New Year!
Post a Comment