Monday, July 19, 2010

Leftovers


I had just enough fabric left over from this disaster to make yet another Burda Plus 2009 F/W - 403 Cowl.


The fabric is a black and teal poly knit that I got from the $2.97 G street table.

For a more summery look, I eliminated the back collar stand. I finished off the back neck by creating binding and stitching it down.


You can see the collar stand in the figure below.



The entire outfit is serged except for sewing down the binding at the back neck.


I finished the hem using the coverstitch. I am getting pretty good at converting the serger from the overlock to the coverstitch. I can do it in about 3 minutes now.



I changed the sleeve hem from long to elbow length. I decided to finish the sleeve hems using a rolled hem. This is the first time I have tried to create a rolled hem using my new serger. I spent an hour trying to figure out how to thread the machine and what levers and knobs to push and pull. I used rolled hems to finish ballet skirts when I worked in a costume shop 20 years ago. I don't think I have done a rolled hem since. My attempt was just OK. I'll need to practice some.



I used wooly nylon in the upper looper. Threading a needle with wooly nylon is almost impossible. I have a little trick. Thread the serger with regular thread. Tie the wooly nylon to the thread at the thread stand. Set the tension to zero. Pull the thread and wooly nylon through the serger. Ta Da!

I bought the fabric to match a jacket that I got from Lane Bryant.


The skirt and shoes are from Lord and Taylor. The necklace is from Ebay.

4 comments:

b4thedoor.com said...

This looks really great! Converting your serger to overstitch in 3 minutes, that's great! Nicely done!

Joyce in NC said...

The turquoise jacket really pulls it together. Great looking outfit!! I wish I could convert my serger that quickly. I got lazy and brought a coverstitch machine at a great price.

Sew Shy said...

Great looking top and goes nicely with your jacket.

Anonymous said...

Nice top and it makes a great outfit!