Sunday, November 21, 2010

Patriotic Vest


It was time for the annual music presentation for Carl and Bonnie. Carl's class combined the music presentation with study of Virginia Revolutionary history. I had to find/make him a 18th century costume. I bought his hat from a party store. The shoes, pants and shirt are from Christmas pictures past. The socks are Bill's. He was supposed to tuck his pants into the socks to look like tights. It sort of worked out...
I tried to get him into a velvet vest he wore for a Christmas picture at least 3 years ago. He looked like a sausage. I debated letting him wear the vest for just the performance, but figured his inability to breath was going to be frowned upon by the other parents.
Yet again, it was a true sewin' like the wind project. Starting at 8:00 PM Wednesday night before a Thursday performance, I made a pattern from the too-small vest. I ended up adding 5 inches to the width and 3 inches to the length.
This was a 100% stash project. I used a paisley flocked cotton novelty fabric that I got from either JoAnns or Hancocks a couple of years ago. I interfaced all the fashion fabric.
I used a burgundy taffeta poly lining l have had in the stash for ages. I have no idea where it came from. I made ties for the back of the vest from the lining fabric.
I got up at 4:30 AM Thursday to sew the vest. It had to be done by 6:30 AM when the kids got up to get ready for school. Thankfully the flocked fabric could be easily ironed. Using a needle board would have really slowed me down.
There are lots of tricks for sewing vests without hand stitching.
This is my favorite method:
1. Sew and press open the shoulder seams of the front and back of the vest for the fashion fabric and lining.
2. Put fashion fabric and lining right sides together.
3. Sew bottoms, center front, back neck and arm holes. Do not sew side seams.
4. Grade all seam allowances.
5. Understitch as far as you can for all seams. This makes a huge difference and is a must when sewing a vest.
6. Push out all points carefully.
7. Carefully press all edges.
8. From the inside of the vest pin right sides of side seam of fashion fabric front and backs. Pin as far into the lining as you can. You will have about a 4 inch opening inside at the side seam of the lining.
9. Sew the side seams you have pinned and then press.
10. Pinch the sides of the 4 inch opening of the lining and sew together.

I finished all the above sewing at 6:25. I had no time left to sew button holes, so I sewed the buttons directly onto the center front. He had to pull the vest over his head. (Cheater, cheater!)
The buttons are a mixed assortment of gold buttons from my massive button collection.



Whew!

Bonnie got a 100% store bought costume. The only requirements for the costume were red, white and blue colors. The top, skirt and head band are from The Children's Place and the glitter shoes and tights were from Target.


1 comment:

BCN - UNIQUE designer patterns said...

Hi Linda.- Only wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. My best wishes for another year full of happy sewing ...!!!