Note: The white line across the bottom of the skirt is not the hem line. It is a crease formed from being in my stash for a long, long, time. I'll have to take it to the dry cleaners to get it out.
I looked through my stash of patterns for a simple skirt and found McCalls 5637.

The pattern included finished widths for waist and hips that were very accurate so fitting was easy and painless (sometimes these measurements are not accurate - I don't understand this...).
It was a 100% stash project. I think I purchased the linen from GStreet. I've had it in the stash at least 10 years. It is premo linen. A pleasure to sew. I lined the skirt in china silk left over from my wedding dress. The China Silk was purchased from Thai Silks 14 years ago.
I used a basic zipper from the stash.
Changes to pattern:
- Added lining
- Didn't use the facings
- Added narrow waistband.
- Added 3 inches to each side of kick pleat and sewed down at top. The pattern called for just an opening at the bottom of the seam. Whenever I wear ready-to-wear with this treatment, I tend to rip it up the seam. Guess I have a purposeful walk.
I hand stitched the lining to the back vent and used hemming lace for the hem (a girly little extra).

No comments:
Post a Comment