Thursday, November 20, 2008

Sewing for my Wedding


Flash from the past. Pictures from my 1995 wedding. I made my dress and veil and my 4 bridesmaid's dresses. The fabric is 20 yards of duchess satin silk from Thai silks. It is lined in china silk and underlined with muslin (it was a heavy dress!). I purchased a crinoline for the skirt. The bodice is boned and I used hair canvas for the hem.

I used out-of-print Butterick 6345 and added length and a train.
Picture of the veil. The headpiece is made of pink and white silk ribbon roses. The veil is trimmed in white satin ribbon. The bottom piece was velcroed in so it could be removed for the reception. Bill has so much beautiful hair!


Bill with bridesmaids. All dresses are sewn with teal dupioni, lined with rayon and underlined with muslin. I sewed tulle into the skirt lining to make the skirts more full.

I used a Butterick 5842 for my roomate's dress (left) and added a shawl.

For one of my friends from college's dress (second from left in bridesmaids picture above) had a jacket and skirt. I used Vogue 9246.
My sister's dress (second from right in bridesmaids picture) was copied from an an A-line dress she owned. I embroidered silk ribbon roses on the bodice. Closeup of my sister and I showing silk ribbon embroidery.


I used Vogue 8654 for my sister-in-law's dress. I added 2 criss cross ribbons across the back with a bow at the bottom with a silk ribbon rose.

Picture of backs of dresses.

No comments: