For the past several years, Bonnie has gone the princess route so I was surprised she agreed to the flamenco costume.
Several years ago, one of the major pattern companies had a children's flamenco costume pattern. I thought of the pattern for Bonnie this year. Unfortunately, the pattern seems to out of print or I was delusional.
The fabric is cotton broadcloth from Joanne's quilting section. I made the ruffles using my ruffler and serger.
I used Simplicity 4469 for the bodice. It is a female pirate costume - but I thought the bodice was close enough.
I made a few changes. I added ruffles to the bottom of the bodice.
The pattern called for eyelets and lacing up the center front and down the sleeves. I didn't have any eyelets that worked or "pre-eyeleted" ribbons and I didn't feel like making another trip to JoAnns - so I just omitted them. It was probably for the best - it gives it a less "piratey" feel.
I also used velcro for the back instead of a zipper. Pure laziness - and because you can get away with it on Halloween.
For the skirt, I used a dress pattern, Butterick 4967.
As you can tell, I omitted the bodice and three of the flounces. I used sew through sports elastic for the waist band which didn't retain its shape very well. It was new in a package - so I wasn't too happy.

Gus, Carl and Bonnie going trick or treating. Gus as the mad math scientist (he drew algebra problems on the lab coat), Bonnie as a Flamenco dancer and Carl as Captain Rex (from Star Wars the Clone Wars). No sewing involved for Gus and Carl's costumes.
Carl without mask (mothers like to see faces...)

No comments:
Post a Comment