Thursday, March 25, 2010

It's Here!!

Finally - a coverstitch. It was the one sewing toy that I was missing (OK - if my weight didn't fluctuate like the wind I'd get a dress form, and a gravity flow iron would be nice, and I like a steam press, and .... but I digress).

Yes, I went whole hog and got the top of line Bernina serger.

Bernina 1300DMC

This machine is not for the faint of heart (you folks who vehemently argue for a mechanical over computerized sewing machines - stay away, far, far away). It produces 24 different stitches and multiple computations of each.

It is easier to thread than my 134, but and this is a big BUT there are lots of different ways to thread it for the lots of different stitches.

The LCD screen is really cool. It tells you how to thread it and the tensions to use.

I bought it at G Street. It comes with 2 to 3 classes to learn how to use it (depending on how long it takes for you to get it!) The classes are good because they provide you with ideas for using the different stitches. So far I have been able to do the overlook, super stretch, and a couple of different coverstitches.

It also comes with a elasticator foot and a blind hem foot.

Bill says for the price I should be able to throw fabric at it and a 3 piece suit should pop out.

I do spend money on my machines, but they are used. My uncle got my aunt a top of the line sewing machine at one point. He determined the per garment cost was around $400 for how much she used it.

One complaint - Bernina for God's sake PLEASE hire me to write a new user's manual. I have written or reviewed many in my career and this by far the WORST ever. Each procedure comes in 5 different languages on the SAME page. It makes it virtually impossible to easily find anything.

No comments: