Monday, February 13, 2012

A Belated Review of 2011

2011 was an abysmal sewing year. I only finished 8 garments.  Life keeps getting in the way of sewing.

The big winners:
Bonnie's First Communion Dress - a lot of effort, but she looked beautiful


My brown lace skirt - This is one of my favorite skirts ever. It fits perfectly and lace is all the rage in my fashion mags.
White with black circles skirt - Loved this skirt also. It is very flattering and looks super cute with my black cotton jacket and fuchsia knit top.


The losers:
Black and white knit top: Never wore it. Made for 90 year old woman. Went to Goodwill.


Green knit top: Wore it 2 times, but just didn't like the fabric. Went to Goodwill.
Bonnie's flounced cotton top: This just didn't fit right. It gaped in front and when I tried to fix this with ribbon, the sides split open. She only wore it one time. I probably could fix it, but not really worth the effort.


The pretty goods:
Burgundy cowl top: I really like this top and get a lot of compliments when I wear it, but it is really sparkly and screams "Holiday" it's really only good for December and January.

Bonnie's Halloween Dress: She was very happy with the finished product. I wish I had more tulle for the skirt, but generally a successful project.


  1. Sew more than I buy.
  2. Sew 24 garments, 2 a month
  3. Sew a jacket.
  4. Sew a pair of pants.
  5. Sew Bonnie's 1st Communion dress.
  6. Use the embroidery machine.
  7. Trace a new pattern from Burda mag to sew and complete a garment that fits.
  8. Oh what the heck - sew a coat.
The results: I only accomplished #5. Thankfully it was a success! I actually did pretty well with #1. I didn't buy a lot of fabric. I think I probably broke even.

My 2012 Resolutions:
  1. Sew more than I buy.
  2. Sew 12 garments this year - let's be realistic.
  3. Sew a jacket. I really do need jackets. Small torso and big arms is the kiss of death in the plus size market.
  4. Sew a pair of pants. I am almost done with a pair so this will happen.
  5. Use the embroidery machine.
  6. Sew a dress.

No comments: