Tuesday, June 14, 2011

It's True: You Can't Take It With You

I inherited another fabric stash in the form of 4 trash bags full of fabric. My cousin has a friend who is seriously ill and no longer able to sew. My cousin doesn't sew, so she gave the fabric to me. A lot of the fabric is "spongy" polyester that I will never use, so it will go to Goodwill. I was able to keep around 20 pieces.

The first lot includes a heavy red linen; cotton seersucker; pink, fuchsia and tan linen and a baby blue linen.


The next lot includes a skirt weight black wool, wool herringbone, black wool felt and chocolate wool felt.


The next lot includes three pieces of silk dupioni.



This lot includes a poly/cotton eyelet, floral embroidered cotton and a plain heavy white linen.



The final lot includes 3 pieces of silky poly. I can use these for linings.



I have already used a piece of white linen to make a skirt.




I blogged about it here.


I have to say if I died tomorrow, my stash would fill quite a bit more than 4 trash bags - probably closer to 20. I know my fabric "collection" is sizable, but not as bad as the woman whose stash was so huge it had to be housed in a storage unit. This woman would make weekly "visits" to caress her stash. Another woman with an out of control quilting fabric stash was featured on the Hoarders show. She couldn't open her front door and the fabric was piled 5 feet high... Yikes... It is a reminder to me to keep on sewin'.

1 comment:

Cennetta said...

So sad about your cousin's friend. Lucky you to receive so a wonderful gift. The fabric is beautiful and has great potential for a great wardrobe.