Friday, January 1, 2010

A Review of 2009 New Year's Resolutions

This post is an analysis of last year's New Year's Resolutions.

2009 New Year's Resolutions

1. Sew more! I resolve to sew 1 garment a week - but I'm guessin' that is not going to happen. I'll try to sew 2 garments a month. That's a total of 24 garments and I believe totally doable.

Verdict - I sewed 19 items. Fell short by 5 garments. I am totally shamed by the bloggers that log 50 to 75 garments!!

2. Use embroidery machine - at least see if it still works. For God's sake - I spent several thousand dollars on it...I resolve to embroider at least 2 items.

Verdict - I spent $300 fixing an old laptop that had Windows 2000 on it. My Bernina embroidery software no longer supports Windows XP. I also spent another $200 getting my embroidery machine serviced with new parts. I did test a couple designs, but didn't finish any projects. This too was shameful.

3. Sew more from the stash than you buy. Since I have already inherited a fabric stash - I personally know you can't take it with you. I don't have a concrete objective for this one.

Verdict - I actually did accomplish this - by 2 yards. I bought 55 yds of fabric and sewed up 57 yards. Not stellar, but I met the letter of the law.

4. Make a jacket. I haven't made myself a jacket in about 6 years.

Verdict - I made one I really like that fits and is wearable.




5. Make a pair of pants. I have some great gray wool I want to use. I will probably have to trace a pair I already have. I have found that if a pattern fits my thighs - the waist ends in my arm pits. And somehow that is really hard to alter!

Verdict - This too was accomplished. I made a pair of navy linen pants from a pair that I bought from Lane Bryant. They fit and I have worn them often. I am hoping to use the pattern to make several pairs for 2010.



6. Make a knit top that I actually wear. I make them, but I'm never happy with them. I bought some knit "muslin" fabric so I really have no excuse.

Verdict - A+ I made 5 tops and I regularly wear 4 of them. The purple cowl is my favorite. I think the key to my success was the hint from a blogger about using water soluble stabilizer for twin needle hems. I finally had hems that didn't look like a wavy sloppy mess.



7. Make a coat. I need a nice new one that fits.

Verdict - Utterly failed. Didn't make a coat or even attempt one and I still need a new one.

8. Finish at least 2 of my partially done projects or give up and throw them out. There are many.

Verdict - This was accomplished. I finished a purple blouse for myself and a corduroy jumper for Bonnie. I never wear the purple blouse, so I'm not sure this is such a success.

9. Sew at least 5 garments from BWOF. I think this is ambitious for me. I have been receiving and loving the magazine since August and only attempted one knit top which when sewn out, would have fit a woman about 50 pounds heavier than myself (ahhhh). Yes, I used the correct size for my measurements. It was way past altering and I just couldn't envision it working for me even in a smaller. I need to stop being a Burda lurker and actually sew something!

Verdict - Not a total bust. I did trace and make one Burda mag. pattern: the knit cowl. I even made three successful versions:
I probably didn't meet the spirit of the law on this one. I'll have to work on it next year.
Total score: I accomplished 5 out of 9 of 2009 New Year's Resolutions

No comments: