His only requests were sunglasses and headphones. Something all the big bad squirrels are wearing this season.
This was not a shop the stash project. I had to purchase everything but the thread, including fabrics, fur, bias binding, elastic, and Velcro.
I used a gray Chamois-like poly for the body and hood, silver poly crepe back satin for tummy and inside ears, short gray fake fur for tail and black fake fur for Mohawk. All fabric is from JoAnns.
Another JoAnn's rant:
Please teach your sales people how to cut fake fur! The sales girl told me to watch out for all the fur that was going to fly. I offered to show her how to cut fur so that the fur does not "fly". I took the scissors to show her when she threw a fit about company policy of not touching the scissors and refused to listen to me on how to correctly cut fur - and proceeded to hack through the fur creating a cloud of black fur everywhere. Can't JoAnns provide just a little training for its employees? They sell a lot of fake fur - this seems like a basic thing to teach your employees.
Anyway... I used Butterick 6695 for the body. I just picked up a pattern for kids. Unfortunately it only went up to size seven. I ended up adding several inches to length, sleeves and torso.
The closure uses Velcro. Sleeve and pant hemmed with casing and elastic. The hood is finished with purchased bias binding. Top neck edge trimmed with bias binding.
Another JoAnn's rant:
Please teach your sales people how to cut fake fur! The sales girl told me to watch out for all the fur that was going to fly. I offered to show her how to cut fur so that the fur does not "fly". I took the scissors to show her when she threw a fit about company policy of not touching the scissors and refused to listen to me on how to correctly cut fur - and proceeded to hack through the fur creating a cloud of black fur everywhere. Can't JoAnns provide just a little training for its employees? They sell a lot of fake fur - this seems like a basic thing to teach your employees.
Anyway... I used Butterick 6695 for the body. I just picked up a pattern for kids. Unfortunately it only went up to size seven. I ended up adding several inches to length, sleeves and torso.
The closure uses Velcro. Sleeve and pant hemmed with casing and elastic. The hood is finished with purchased bias binding. Top neck edge trimmed with bias binding.
Changes I made to pattern
1. Changed back opening to front opening because of the tail. I used Velcro.
2. Made a pattern for the tail. It looked like a flat beaver tail before I stuffed it with fiberfill. I hand stitched the back of the tail to the body. I also hand stitched the top of the tail to make the curve at the top.
1. Changed back opening to front opening because of the tail. I used Velcro.
2. Made a pattern for the tail. It looked like a flat beaver tail before I stuffed it with fiberfill. I hand stitched the back of the tail to the body. I also hand stitched the top of the tail to make the curve at the top.
3. I hand stitched on the Mohawk.

No comments:
Post a Comment