Thursday, December 4, 2008

Fabric Shopping in Los Angeles

Mood Fabrics

I was in Los Angeles for business so I decided to check out some of the fabric stores. First stop was Mood Fabrics. It is not located in the Fabric District, and I was able to park directly behind the building. This is the sister store to the NY City Mood Fabrics featured on Project Runway. It is a clean, well laid out store with beautiful fabrics. Lots of very expensive fabric, but actually a decent amount of reasonably priced silks, wools and knits. I guess reasonably priced is relative, It isn't JoAnns and you are going to have to pay a little more for quality.
You get the cool Mood bag with your fabric purchase.


Because one can never have enough fabric - my fabric purchases:
1. Silk Charmeuse - reeeeaally beautiful. It's a busy print so it will need to be something simple. Maybe something like Burda 12/08 -113

#2. Light blue snakeskin printed leather (the color doesn't show up so well in the picture) . I'm thinking a purse. I will need to buy a mallet and glue for sewing leather.

#3. Floral print silk: I have an orange wool challis that I want to use for a jacket. I found this silk that matches for a blouse. I haven't decided on a pattern yet.


Fabric District
After Mood, I headed for the LA Fabric District. This is quite an experience. A lot of small shops hawking cheap clothing and "stuff". There were several fabric stores selling lots of polyester knits and scary looking fabric. There are also men with flags that try to wave you into parking garages. This seemed a little scary to me - so I drove around until I found a parking spot on the street.
I decided to go to fabric stores recommended by several other sewing bloggers. I have never been to Los Angeles and the number of fabric stores was a little overwhelming.
Christina of Assorted Notions had several good recommendations.

Michael Levine
My first stop was Michael Levine's. It is basically a huge fabric warehouse with roving cutters.
1. 2. and 3. Novelty poly knits

4. I also got this silk chiffon. It is like air. I'm thinking about something like Vogue 8342.
.

Fabric Fabrics (doesn't seem to have a web site).
Fabric Fabrics is almost the exact opposite of Michael Levine's. It is about the size of a large walk in closet with fabric roles piled to the ceiling.
I got 3 pieces of silk.
1. Silk chiffon. Vogue 8342 would work for this also.

2. This silk - its pretty heavy - matches perfectly a maroon wool I have. The pattern Vogue 8516 would work for a sweet blouse.
3. Another heavy silk. I'm not sure why this appealed to me at the time. It has really got an 80's vibe and not in a good way. Well, maybe it will grow on me.

1 comment:

Christina said...

You got some wonderful pieces! I dream of fabric shopping in LA again...